|ARMSTRONG GYMNASIUM AT CHICOINE CENTER|
Armstrong Gymnasium opened in 1964 following a $600,000 appropriation from the Nebraska Legislature. It contains the gymnasium where the volleyball matches and basketball games are played, the locker rooms and weight rooms used by the football, volleyball and basketball teams, the offices for the coaches of those sports as well as the director of athletics, two conference rooms, an Olympic-size swimming pool and a lobby.
The building is named for Ross O. Armstrong, who was associated with the college from 1933 until his death in 1990 at age 84. His duties during that time included serving as the college’s football, basketball and track coach, athletic director, dean of men and executive secretary of the Chadron State Foundation, a position he still held at the time of his death.
Prior to the construction of Armstrong, the college’s primary athletic facility was the Miller Building, which opened in 1921. It contained a basketball court that was surrounded by a balcony for spectators and a swimming pool, along with several classrooms, locker rooms and offices. It was refurbished in the late 1990s and is now a state-of-the art classroom facility and the home of the college’s information technology deparment.
Because the gymnasium in Miller was inadequate, the Eagles played their basketball games in the Chadron Community Building off campus for more than a decade before the Armstrong Building was opened.
In March 2012, the Nebraska Legislature approved a $6.7 million renovation and expansion of the Armstrong Building. The new facility will more than double the size of the present structure and will include a 22,600-square foot arena with seating for 2,900 spectators.